City Rising Week
- 1 Top Links
- 2 What is Cities Rising Week
- 3 Cities Rising for a Regenerative World - Full Description
- 4 Cities Rising Daily Topics
- 5 AfterChat Workshops
- 6 How to Contribute Your Ideas
- 7 How To Join us for Humanity Rising's Cities Rising Week
- 8 Invitation Message - To Invite People to Cities Week
- 9 Humanity Rising City Week Day Pages
- 10 See also Regenerative Meanings
- 11 Links To Previous Humanity Rising Days:
What is Cities Rising Week
- Humanity Rising's 2021 opening week, January 11 to 15, is about cities and communities in transition called Cities Rising Week.
- Two women experts in this field of healthy human habitats, Marilyn Hamilton and Beth Sanders, will be convening a super-charged opening week of daily sessions titled "Cities Rising for a Regenerative World".
- The overarching theme of Cities Week is to explore city/community as dynamic living systems.
- This week-long exploration will offer a variety of lenses, tools and practices — and opportunities for us to reflect — that will enable us to best serve our cities and communities so that they can best serve a thriving regenerative world.
- Their intention is to create an iterative, interactive experience with diversity, that will build over the week as we work with regenerative tools and practices.
Video Explaining Cities Rising Week
- Watch the first 10-15 minutes of this Video from Cities Week Jan 4th ChatAction Planning Meeting.
- And here is the ChatAction Zoom Chat file from that meeting where you can see some of the plan for "AfterChat" Breakout Groups and Debrief Meetings after each day to inform the next.
Cities Rising for a Regenerative World - Full Description
- We call it Cities Rising Week or just Cities Week for short and ...
- The full name of the week long event is "Cities Rising for a Regenerative World". See also Regenerative means
- Read the Full Description our Co-Conveners sent to Jim Garrison for Humanity Risings site here: Cities Rising for a Regenerative World
Cities Rising Daily Topics
For communities, we are using the term 'city' interchangeably with community:
|DATE||THEME, MESSAGE + GUIDING QUESTIONS|
|AQtivating cities at scale
Cities thrive when we activate agency at scale
· What is your learning edge?
· How would you describe your learning edge?
· Where is your learning edge?
|Living cities as complex adaptive systems
Cities are living systems with consciousness and culture, in addition to behaviors and infrastructure
· How do you experience the linear city?
· How do you experience the city as a living system?
· Where do you see the city as a system coming alive?
· How to amplify the city as a living system?
· What happens when we act as if the city is a living system?
|Governing with life-cycle patterns
Cities are where we can practice governance with local conditions and needs in mind
· What can the city learn from its eco-region? What are the universal principles that can guide / inform city life?
· How is mutual trust and respect core to civility?
· How does (explicit) governance shift from hierarchy primarily to hierarchy and self-organizing?
· What minimal critical structure is needed to support self-organizing in the city? Under what conditions? When?
· The role of (city) government is shifting… from what to what?
|Practicing mutual agency
Cities are living systems of mutual agency, a survival skill.
A diversity of practices enables us to serve our cities well so they serve us well in return
· What behaviours of mine enable or disable the agency of others?
· What are the tensions I experience in the city around me? How do they indicate the improvements I wish to make to the city?
· What is my calling in service to the city? How do I trust that others will do what I am not doing?
· How/why is mutual trust and respect core to the quality of your life in the city?
|Integrating coherence for regenerativity
Cities are vehicles for regeneration when we take responsibility for our relationship with the ecoregion
· What experiments are you conducting? Who do you experiment with?
· What feedback channels do you use? Could you use?
· What is regenerating in you?
o Survive, connect, regenerate
o Master code
· How does culture impact context and feedback to give us information re coherence?
· Why/how is regeneration important to the city?
THE COMMUNITY IN CONVERSATION WITH ITSELF
After the daily HUMANITY RISING Zoom sessions, the Co-Conveners and Reflective Practitioners aka presenters (who are able) will join the afterchat workshop as facilitators and participants in a 2nd Zoom room called ChatPeople. The audience in Humanity Rising part 1, is invited as well. We hope we have many new diverse participants join us in this part 2 session afterchat workshop.
Each day informs and inspires the following one. The primary purpose of the capture of the highlights in the breakouts (see How to Contribute Your Ideas) is for understanding:
- Where is the buzz - the stuff that is grabbing excitement
- Where are the burrs - the irritations, the pain points and the voids, and ...
- Where is there flow - possibly the combining of ideas that hadn't been applied that way before.
This is important for our Co-Conveners, Beth and Marilyn, in the facilitation of the webinar the following day, as well as our own evolving learning.
Here is the general design for this 75-90-minute session in an interactive "afterchat" to discuss the Cities Rising Topics each day.
|Who is going to be there?||Hosts: Lesley Southwick-Trask and Hilary Van Welter and other ChatAction Group CoHosts & Support |
and all the Humanity Rising Participants who are invited to the afterchat ChatPeople Zoom room
Beth and Marilyn will actively participate, along with other Cities Rising guests - those we invite from our city, community, projects and network - See invite message
|Opportunities this event offers||- Model participatory leadership
- Reflect on the day
-“Feed” the next day
- Enable the community to see itself :)
- exploring how the information shared during the Main session impacts and changes your project
|Our Process||a hosted intentional dialogue and small group breakout sessions.
Small group conversations
Empowering conversations to take to my municipality…
By Friday, into activation -- how do we do this intentionally in community
Five days of moving IN and OUT
In and out of attending the main session and participating in the interactive chat Engaging in dialogue and conversations in the afterchat
How to Contribute Your Ideas
- Our “afterchat” format is all about engaging in a conversation during the 75 to 90 minutes afterchat, following each day’s Humanity Rising presentation.
- This is an opportunity for us to see, feel and know how the days session at Humanity Rising is emerging from with in us and feedback these ideas to the conveners and presenters who move from the “main stage” into our afterchat dialogue.
- Depending on where the group wants to go with the tools and practices being offered on the Humanity Rising / Cities Rising main stage, new reflections will be debriefed daily and addressed as we move forward into the next session and afterchat workshop.
- We will collect these audience experiences in shared small group Breakouts during the afterchats each day and use this new information in this evolving learning experiment. This information will be placed in a google doc that captures the views of the community before during and after the event.
- The nature of the experiences may change (we hope they do) since the new lenses and practices will provide different perceptions as areas of inquiry.
- These new ideas will provide an opportunity to build capacity to contribute and mobilize into action to bring about regenerative change in your own city or community.
- Take these new ideas you would like to discuss apply to either simple local issues or larger seminal issues that could impact all cities across the world.
- Besides giving your Breakout small group facilitator your experience of "how this is held inside you", you can also email your feedback to cities(at)chataction.org and please put the words: "Feedback for Cities Rising Week" in the subject line.
- Here is a link to ideas asked by one of the ChatAction people where your feedback can be added to the Feedback for Cities Rising Week.
- To Contribute even more deeply with the ChatAction Group on this and more new projects in the future you can join ChatAction here: (link to Cities ChatAction Group).
How To Join us for Humanity Rising's Cities Rising Week
- Step 1: Add Dates & Times to your calendar (GCal Event Pre-scheduled for the Week) : January 11-15, 2021 8-11am PT Convert to Your Time
- Step 2: Register at Humanity Rising here for Cities Rising Week followed by the Inter-Active AfterChat Workshops.
- Step 3: Show up for Humanity Rising! Monday to Friday.
- Step 4: Join us at the AfterChat workshops immediately following Humanity Rising - watch the Chat for the Zoom Link and Passcode. In our AfterChat workshops we will join in interactive dialogue and emergent design (action).
Invitation Message - To Invite People to Cities Week
- Below is a sample message you may choose to use to invite people you know to the Cities Rising Week.
- You can find other forms of invitation in the shared Google directory (create your own folder to hold your own/favorite invitations, etc.)
NOTE: It may be easier to copy the invite here on Google Doc. An Invitation to Cities Rising Week A week long event - "Cities Rising for a Regenerative World" How To Better Serve Our City & Community So It Can Better Serve Us About Cities In Transition
Hello .... You are invited to Cities Rising Week. * During the week of January 11 to 15 2021, Marilyn Hamilton and Beth Sanders will be convening a super-charged opening for Humanity Rising 2021 called Cities Rising. Our intention is to create an iterative and interactive experience that will build over the week as we work with regenerative tools and practices that will help us better serve our city and/or community so that it can better serve us. * The theme of Cities Rising Week is to help you experience your city/community as a dynamic living system. This week-long exploration will offer a variety of lenses, tools and practices—and opportunities for you to reflect—that will enable you to best serve your city/community so that it can best serve you.
Note: Daily Agenda & Topics can be either copied easily here or from the Table below...
|Day||Topics and Agenda:|
|Monday:||AQtivating cities at scale Cities thrive when we activate agency at scale|
|Tuesday:||Living in cities as complex adaptive systems Cities are living systems with consciousness and culture, in addition to behaviours and infrastructure|
|Wednesday:||Governing with life-cycle patterns Cities are where we can practice governance with local conditions and needs in mind|
|Thursday:||Practicing mutual agency Cities are living systems of mutual agency, a survival skill.|
|Friday:||Integrating coherence for regenerativity Cities are vehicles for regeneration when we take responsibility for our relationship with the ecoregion|
How To Join Cities Rising Week - The Details: * Date: January 11 - 15, 2021 Monday - Friday * When: Daily 8:00 AM Pacific Time - Find in your time here * How Long: (90 min Presentation + 90 min Workshop) * Where: In 2 Zoom Rooms - Register for Cities Rising Week Workshops in Zoom Here. * Zoom 1: Humanity Rising’s Cities Rising Webinar * Zoom 2: ChatPeople's Room Join the AfterChat that follows daily at 9:30 AM Pacific Time (60-90 min) NOTE: To join us for the City Rising Workshop AfterChat, you must register here. In the Humanity Rising Zoom room, it will be announced to join us in the afterchat Zoom Room. Watch the chat for the invite with passcode to this 2nd zoom room.
Humanity Rising City Week Day Pages
- Day159 Cities Rising - Monday: Cities Thrive When Activating Agency at Scale
- Day160 Cities Rising - Tuesday: Cities & Community are Living Systems With Consciousness, Culture and Complex Adaptive Dynamics
- Day161 Cities Rising - Wednesday: City & Community Governance Principles & Structures That Support Local Conditions
- Day162 Cities Rising - Thursday: Generate Ideas To Enable You To Use Tensions in Your City & Community To Best Mutually Serve You Both
- Day163 Cities Rising - Friday: Cities & Communities Are Vehicles for Regeneration When We Take Responsibility for Our Relationship With the Ecoregion Enabling Relationships of Reciprocity
See also Regenerative Meanings
Regenerative means or describes ...
- processes that restore, renew or revitalize
- to re-create in a better form or condition
- able to or tending to regenerate—to regrow, be renewed or restored, especially after damage or loss
- increasing biodiversity by conservation and rehabilitation...
- ecosystems resilient to natural fluctuations or events that cause disturbance or damage
- Read more with reference links here: Regenerative means...
Links To Previous Humanity Rising Days:
|HR 1-10||HR 11-20||HR 21-30||HR 31-40||HR 41-50||HR 51-60|
|HR 61-70||HR 71-83||HR 84-100||HR 101-110||HR 111-120||HR 121-130|
|HR 131-140||HR 141-150||HR 151-160||HR 161-170||HR 171-180||HR 181-190|
- --Thanks to Malini!
- Go to Days 60 – 66 Go To Days 67–73 Go To Days 74–80 Go To Days 81–83
- Go To Days 84–88 Go To Days 89–93 Go To Days 94–98 Go To Days 99–103 Go To Days 104–108
- Go To Days 109–113 Go To Days 114–118 Go To Days 119–123 Go To UN 75th Go To Days 124–128
- Go To Days 129–133 Go To Days 134–138 Go To Days 139–143 Go To Days 144–148
- Go To Days 149–153 Go To Days 154–158 Go To Days 159–163 Go To Days 164–168
- Go To Days 169–173 Go To Days 174–178 Go To Days 179–183 Go To Days 184–188
- Go To Days 189–193 Go To Days 194–198 Go To Days 199–203 Go To Days 204–208
- Go To Days 209–213 Go To Days 214–218