A Salute to Stan Grof on his 90th Birthday IV— The Art of Psychedelic Sitting: Dialogue with Rick Doblin and Diane Haug with Stan and Brigitte Grof
- --- Humanity Rising Day 224 - Monday April 12, 2021 (GoTo Bottom)
|Videos||Today's HR Video Recording||ChatPeople Video Gallery View||ChatPeople Video Speaker View|
|Chats||Humanity Rising Chat||ChatPeople Chat|
|Resources||Ubiquity Link for Day 224 Alt|
Dr. Stanislav Grof, M.D., Ph.D. is a world-renowned pioneer, theoretician, and practitioner of the transformative potential of non-ordinary states of consciousness. His groundbreaking theories have influenced depth psychology, psychiatry, and psychotherapy with his brilliant mapping of the transpersonal and perinatal dimensions of the psyche. Stan is well-known for his seminal work with LSD as a psychotherapeutic tool, beginning with his first LSD session in 1956 followed by his extensive clinical research through the 1960s and early 1970s. His use of LSD and other psychedelic substances in his psychiatric practice foreshadowed today’s widespread recognition that such substances can play an invaluable role in the treatment of many emotional and psychosomatic disorders as well as the alleviation of anxiety concerning the fear of death in terminally ill patients.
Stan was the first person to recognize that the results of LSD use for psychoanalysis were the same as what spiritual teachings have shown for thousands of years regarding non-ordinary states of consciousness. This led to his creating an award-winning cartography of the psyche that coined the term “ holotropic" as characteristic of non-ordinary states of consciousness such as meditative, mystical, or psychedelic experiences, all states which aim towards wholeness and the totality of existence.
For the past 50 years, Stan has continued his exploration of the many states of mind that can be explored without drugs by using certain breathing techniques. This holotropic breathwork (Grof® Breathwork) is an experiential method of self-exploration and psychotherapy that combines and integrates various elements from modern consciousness research, depth psychology, transpersonal psychology, Eastern spiritual philosophies, shamanism and other native healing practices. In May 2020, together with his wife Brigitte Grof, they launched their Grof® Legacy Training where students can develop theoretical and practical knowledge and skills in a large category of non-ordinary states that have a healing, transformative, heuristic, and evolutionary potential.
Stan turns 90 this July 1, Ubiquity University is collaborating with Stan, Brigitte and their Grof Legacy Training to celebrate his enormous contribution to the world’s understanding of how each of us can enter transcendent states of consciousness. His research and study have provided us with evidence that these “non-ordinary” states can grant us more robust health, an increased enthusiasm for life, an expanded worldview, and a sense of the sacred that is universal, nondenominational, and all inclusive.
- Rick Doblin, PhD, Executive Director and founder of MAPS (Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies) offers a historical understanding of the war on drugs, the omissions of negative experiences in Leary’s Good Friday Experiment, and the need to embrace the challenging experiences that lead to lasting transformation of world views. He suggests that psychedelics can help people work through their fears to find new ways of thinking about the challenges we face, including generational conflicts and healing deep traumas. MAPS has been working to legalize psychedelic therapies, and have also begun training sitters to provide safe and effective sessions for those seeking healing.
- Diane Haug, MA, was one of the first students learning the approach and technique of breathwork with Stan, and has gone on to lead facilitator trainings around the world. In addition to being one of the core faculty leading the Grof Legacy Training work, Diane is also working with the Center for Psychedelic Assisted Therapies at CIIS (California Institute for Integral Studies) to teach breathwork principles that are foundational to safely holding space for deep internal exploration.
- Stan Grof and his wife Brigitte join the conversation, sharing their work with Grof Legacy Training, and their collaboration with both Rick and Diane. Together they discuss the core principles inherent to sitting for psychedelic sessions, and the importance of providing this support for the renaissance of psychedelic assisted therapies.
- Jim Garrison, President, Ubiquity University
Community Spirit & Soul Culture Personal Development
|Navigation||Videos-Chats-Resources||Presenters||Humanity Rising Day Pages||Yesterday||Categories|
Humanity Rising Links
|HR 1-10||HR 11-20||HR 21-30||HR 31-40||HR 41-50||HR 51-60|
|HR 61-70||HR 71-83||HR 84-100||HR 101-110||HR 111-120||HR 121-130|
|HR 131-140||HR 141-150||HR 151-160||HR 161-170||HR 171-180||HR 181-190|
- --Thanks to Malini!
- Go to Days 60 – 66 Go To Days 67–73 Go To Days 74–80 Go To Days 81–83
- Go To Days 84–88 Go To Days 89–93 Go To Days 94–98 Go To Days 99–103 Go To Days 104–108
- Go To Days 109–113 Go To Days 114–118 Go To Days 119–123 Go To UN 75th Go To Days 124–128
- Go To Days 129–133 Go To Days 134–138 Go To Days 139–143 Go To Days 144–148
- Go To Days 149–153 Go To Days 154–158 Go To Days 159–163 Go To Days 164–168
- Go To Days 169–173 Go To Days 174–178 Go To Days 179–183 Go To Days 184–188
- Go To Days 189–193 Go To Days 194–198 Go To Days 199–203 Go To Days 204–208
- Go To Days 209–213 Go To Days 214–218