Humanity Rising Day 205 – Tuesday March 16, 2021
|Navigation||Videos-Chats-Resources||Presenters||Humanity Rising Day Pages||Yesterday||Categories|
A Salute to Stan Grof on his 90th Birthday III: Dialogue with Marina Mangini, Jack Kornfeld and Paul Grof with Stan and Brigitte Grof
Dr. Stanislav Grof, M.D., Ph.D. is a world-renowned pioneer, theoretician, and practitioner of the transformative potential of non-ordinary states of consciousness. His groundbreaking theories have influenced depth psychology, psychiatry, and psychotherapy with his brilliant mapping of the transpersonal and perinatal dimensions of the psyche. Stan is well-known for his seminal work with LSD as a psychotherapeutic tool, beginning with his first LSD session in 1956 followed by his extensive clinical research through the 1960s and early 1970s. His use of LSD and other psychedelic substances in his psychiatric practice foreshadowed today’s widespread recognition that such substances can play an invaluable role in the treatment of many emotional and psychosomatic disorders as well as the alleviation of anxiety concerning the fear of death in terminally ill patients.
Stan was the first person to recognize that the results of LSD use for psychoanalysis were the same as what spiritual teachings have shown for thousands of years regarding non-ordinary states of consciousness. This led to his creating an award-winning cartography of the psyche that coined the term “ holotropic" as characteristic of non-ordinary states of consciousness such as meditative, mystical, or psychedelic experiences, all states which aim towards wholeness and the totality of existence.
For the past 50 years, Stan has continued his exploration of the many states of mind that can be explored without drugs by using certain breathing techniques. This holotropic breathwork (Grof® Breathwork) is an experiential method of self-exploration and psychotherapy that combines and integrates various elements from modern consciousness research, depth psychology, transpersonal psychology, Eastern spiritual philosophies, shamanism and other native healing practices. In May 2020, together with his wife Brigitte Grof, they launched their Grof® Legacy Training where students can develop theoretical and practical knowledge and skills in a large category of non-ordinary states that have a healing, transformative, heuristic, and evolutionary potential.
Stan turns 90 this July 1, Ubiquity University is collaborating with Stan, Brigitte and their Grof Legacy Training to celebrate his enormous contribution to the world’s understanding of how each of us can enter transcendent states of consciousness. His research and study have provided us with evidence that these “non-ordinary” states can grant us more robust health, an increased enthusiasm for life, an expanded worldview, and a sense of the sacred that is universal, nondenominational, and all inclusive.
- Maria Mangini, PhD, describes how her work with Stan, and his theory on the impact of the birth process, inspired her to become a midwife and research the use of psychedelics throughout history. She offers insights on what drives addiction and how psychedelics can be helpful in overcoming compulsive behavior. During this latter part of her life, she has turned her focus towards helping people to see death as a transition, not an ending.
- Jack Kornfield, PhD, and founder of Spirit Rock Meditation Center has known Stan and Brigitte for decades. Stan and Jack hosted numerous workshops combining Vipassana and breathwork at Esalen and elsewhere. The combination of their deep friendship and professional collaboration provides Jack with a unique perspective into what makes Stan so unique, and why the deep states that Stan so masterfully navigates brings such profound healing.
- Paul Grof, PhD, MD, explains how he and Stan chose different paths – Paul focused on the biological causes of mental illness while Stan focused on the psychological causes. Eventually though, Paul’s research into mood disorders brought him to the same conclusion as his brother – consciousness is the ground of all being, and the ability to integrate awareness of subtle dimensions determines how well someone functions in life.
- Stan Grof and his wife Brigitte join the conversation to explore the deep friendship and history they share with our guests, providing context for the evolution and impact of Stan’s approach to inner exploration.
- Jim Garrison, President, Ubiquity University
Videos Chats & Resources of HR Day 205
|Videos||Today's HR Video Recording||ChatPeople Video Gallery View||ChatPeople Video Speaker View|
|Chats||Humanity Rising Chat||ChatPeople Chat|
|Resources||Ubiquity Link for Day 205|
Humanity Rising Links
|HR 1-10||HR 11-20||HR 21-30||HR 31-40||HR 41-50||HR 51-60|
|HR 61-70||HR 71-83||HR 84-100||HR 101-110||HR 111-120||HR 121-130|
|HR 131-140||HR 141-150||HR 151-160||HR 161-170||HR 171-180||HR 181-190|
- --Thanks to Malini!
- Go to Days 60 – 66 Go To Days 67–73 Go To Days 74–80 Go To Days 81–83
- Go To Days 84–88 Go To Days 89–93 Go To Days 94–98 Go To Days 99–103 Go To Days 104–108
- Go To Days 109–113 Go To Days 114–118 Go To Days 119–123 Go To UN 75th Go To Days 124–128
- Go To Days 129–133 Go To Days 134–138 Go To Days 139–143 Go To Days 144–148
- Go To Days 149–153 Go To Days 154–158 Go To Days 159–163 Go To Days 164–168
- Go To Days 169–173 Go To Days 174–178 Go To Days 179–183 Go To Days 184–188
- Go To Days 189–193 Go To Days 194–198 Go To Days 199–203 Go To Days 204–208
- Go To Days 209–213 Go To Days 214–218