Humanity Rising Day 142 – Thursday November 19, 2020
|Navigation||Videos-Chats-Resources||Presenters||Humanity Rising Day Pages||Yesterday||Categories|
Daniel Ellsberg on Dismantling the “Doomsday Machine” to Avert Nuclear Catastrophe, Whistleblowing and the Future of Our Democracy
Former nuclear war planner Daniel Ellsberg considers the existential threat posed by nuclear weapons and the steps we absolutely must take to dismantle the existing “Doomsday Machine” and avoid nuclear catastrophe. At a time when the world now faces the existential threats of the pandemic and climate change, Dr. Ellsberg will address the most urgent challenges of our time, the defense budget and the true meaning of national security.
As an anti-war activist for the past 50 years and whistleblower who helped bring an end to the Vietnam War, in this conversation with Jim Garrison and Cynthia Lazaroff, Dr. Ellsberg will also speak about the future of our democracy and why he believes whistleblowing is essential for preserving it.
- Daniel Ellsberg is an economist, lecturer, writer, political activist, former U.S. military analyst and author of The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner. In 1971, Dr. Ellsberg released the Pentagon Papers, a top-secret Pentagon study of the Vietnam War to The New York Times, the Washington Post and other newspapers, and the Pentagon Papers played a key role in ending the war. He was charged under the Espionage Act of 1917, and with theft and conspiracy, carrying a total maximum sentence of 115 years. All charges were dismissed. Dr. Ellsberg has done extensive studies on nuclear weapons and nuclear policy and is a strong advocate for patriotic whistleblowing. He is the winner of numerous awards including the Right Livelihood Award in 2006 “for putting peace and truth first, at considerable personal risk, and dedicating his life to inspiring others to follow his example," and the Olof Palme Prize in 2018 for his "profound humanism and exceptional moral courage."
- Jim Garrison, President, Ubiquity University, with Sabinije von Gaffke, Entrepreneur, Change Leader, Founder, Impactfullness Ventures
Videos Chats & Resources of HR Day 142
|Videos||Today's HR Video Recording||ChatPeople Video Gallery View||ChatPeople Video Speaker View|
|Chats||Humanity Rising Chat||ChatPeople Chat|
|Resources||Ubiquity Link for Day 142||"Humanity_Rising_Chat_Resources"#Week 1 2 3 4|
Humanity Rising Links
|HR 1-10||HR 11-20||HR 21-30||HR 31-40||HR 41-50||HR 51-60|
|HR 61-70||HR 71-83||HR 84-100||HR 101-110||HR 111-120||HR 121-130|
|HR 131-140||HR 141-150||HR 151-160||HR 161-170||HR 171-180||HR 181-190|
- --Thanks to Malini!
- Go to Days 60 – 66 Go To Days 67–73 Go To Days 74–80 Go To Days 81–83
- Go To Days 84–88 Go To Days 89–93 Go To Days 94–98 Go To Days 99–103 Go To Days 104–108
- Go To Days 109–113 Go To Days 114–118 Go To Days 119–123 Go To UN 75th Go To Days 124–128
- Go To Days 129–133 Go To Days 134–138 Go To Days 139–143 Go To Days 144–148
- Go To Days 149–153 Go To Days 154–158 Go To Days 159–163 Go To Days 164–168
- Go To Days 169–173 Go To Days 174–178 Go To Days 179–183 Go To Days 184–188
- Go To Days 189–193 Go To Days 194–198 Go To Days 199–203 Go To Days 204–208
- Go To Days 209–213 Go To Days 214–218