How to Be a Better Ancestor
- --- Humanity Rising Day 273 - Friday June18, 2021 (GoTo Bottom)
|Videos||Today's HR Video Recording||ChatPeople Video Gallery View||ChatPeople Video Speaker View|
|Chats||Humanity Rising Chat||ChatPeople Chat|
|Resources||Ubiquity Link for Day 273 Alt Alt2||Info: How To Access Humanity Rising||List: Humanity Rising Day Pages|
We live in the age of the tyranny of the now: politicians can barely see past the next election or businesses past the next quarterly report, and we are addicted to the latest tweet and the ‘buy now’ button. How can we overcome this frenetic short-termism and extend our time horizons to tackle long-term challenges from the climate crisis to threats from artificial intelligence and the next pandemic on the horizon?
Drawing on his powerful new book, The Good Ancestor: How To Think Long Term in a Short-Term World, leading public philosopher Roman Krznaric reveals how we can expand our imaginations far beyond the here and now. Exploring everything from the seventh-generation thinking of indigenous peoples and politically empowered ‘guardians of the future’ to the history of the London sewers and the latest neuroscience research, Krznaric argues that we have an inbuilt capacity to become ‘cathedral thinkers’.
It is time to confront one of the most vital questions of the 21st century: How can we be good ancestors?
- Roman Krznaric is a public philosopher who writes about the power of ideas to change society. His latest book is The Good Ancestor: How to Think Long Term in a Short Term World. His previous international bestsellers, including Empathy, The Wonderbox and Carpe Diem Regained, have been published in more than 20 languages. After growing up in Sydney and Hong Kong, Roman studied at the universities of Oxford, London and Essex, where he gained his PhD in political sociology. He is founder of the world’s first Empathy Museum and is currently a Research Fellow of the Long Now Foundation.
- Book: The Good Ancestor: How to Think Long Term in a Short-Term World by Roman Krznaric
- TED talk: How to Be a Good Ancestor
- Resource links for Time Rebels - organizations dedicated to long-term thinking and intergenerational justice
- Twitter: @romankrznaric
- Jim Garrison], President, Ubiquity University
Community Culture Human Habitats Personal Development